Sunday, November 25, 2012

Striped Summer Bag

As always, I'm a day late and a dollar short considering (newsflash!) it is no longer summer. This is mainly because while I am perfectly adept at whipping up crocheted creations at lightning-fast speed, when it comes to lining them, I drag my feet.

So, this little number has only recently been lined and will have to wait until next summer to see some use:


And you would think that lining is a terribly difficult thing (it's not, but taking out and setting up the sewing machine is!). Here's a closeup of the lining material I chose:


The bag itself is a modification of this free crochet pattern: Zig Zag Bag Pattern. My modifications were as follows.

Striped Summer Bag Modifications
I used Lily Sugar and Cream yarn and an H sized hook. I omitted the zig zag pattern completely and created stripes in the following order:

Hot Pink
Chain & rounds 1-7

Warm Brown
Next 4 rounds

Rose
Next 4 rounds

Tangerine
Next 3 rounds

Cream
Next 3 rounds

Hot Pink
Next 3 rounds

Warm Brown
Next 2 rounds*

I also omitted the drawstring because I chose to line the bag and I thought that because the drawstring wouldn't go through the lining, the bag would just bunch up.

I used this free bag lining tutorial and it came out perfectly: How to Sew a Lining for a Crocheted Bag.

Note: After lining the bag, I attached the handles with a round of single crochet in warm brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In