Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tarheel Pie

Well, I can't say that this pie has anything in common with the great state of North Carolina. Perhaps it is named after the sweet Southern girls who live here.

Whatever its origins, give it a try (and if you don't like pecans or coconut, leave those out and you still have an outstanding chocolate pie if I do say so myself, and I do say so.)


Tarheel Pie

1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 9-inch deep dish pie crust
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, pour warm melted butter over 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Stir until smooth.
  3. Mix together flour, brown sugar, and granulated sugar, then stir into chocolate mixture.
  4. Stir in eggs and vanilla.
  5. Fold in pecans, coconut, and 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Pour into pie crust.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Top should be set and may crack slightly, but the pie is best if slightly under baked.
  7. Cool completely before serving.

Notes:

I know, I know. You MUST be thinking that the order of adding the ingredients is not correct. However, trust me when I tell you that I have made this pie 1 million times (I may be exaggerating slightly), and adding the ingredients in this order works. Modify the order of the ingredients at your own risk.

This recipe makes only 1 pie. A darn shame if you ask me. I recommend doubling the recipe and making two pies - no extra work really - just some mathematics.

Trader Joe's makes a mean pie crust that does not include the ingredient LARD. I recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. What size pie crust do you use?regular or deep dish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adele, it's a 9 inch deep dish pie crust. I'll update the recipe above to reflect that! Hope you enjoy the recipe!

      Delete

You Might Also Be Interested In