Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Band Perry Covers Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls"

If you haven't heard of The Band Perry yet, you must have surely heard their multi-platinum out of nowhere Number 1 hit- "If I Die Young".  If not, go You Tube it right now, and I'll bet you will recognize the tune.    They are a group of siblings- lead vocalist, Kimberly, and her brothers, Reid and Neil from East Tennessee.  They are such a talented young band, and I, for one, just can't get enough.

Well, they have taken the phrase "a little bit country, a little bit rock 'n roll" to a new level.  Each summer, the world seems to descend upon Nashville for the Annual CMA Music Festival.  It's a huge production, and people come from literally around the world to meet some of their favorite country artists and hear them perform.  They have now starting recording segments of the CMA Music Fest and air them on television as a special later in the year.  This year's special was just aired a few weeks ago, and I was surprised to see The Band Perry covering an old familiar Queen tune- "Fat Bottomed Girls"!

I've always been a fan of this song, though I am not usually a fan of covers.  They just never seem to be quite as good as the original.  Now, in this case, the two versions are so different, there is just really no comparison, and I think The Band Perry knocks the acoustic version out of the park.  Take a listen.


They also perform this song live in some of their shows, and the live version is a little closer to the original.  Either way, Kimberly Perry has one of the most unique voices I've heard lately, and I am loving what they bring to this song, and to country music in general.  Here's the song performed live. Enjoy!


Oh, and this song should come with a warning.  It is now stuck in my head playing over and over.  MUST.  LISTEN.  TO.  SOMETHING.  ELSE.  IMMEDIATELY!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In