Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Carrie Bradshaw Has Still Got It

Or should that be Carrie Bradshaw Has Always Had It? I don't know, I usually struggle with prequels, but I certainly have no trouble with this one.

I have a confession to make. My guilty pleasure has always been CW programming - you know, TV shows whose "broadcasts are intended for teen viewing audiences." Yes, THOSE shows. I have watched every single episode of Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, and Hart of Dixie not to mention Dawson's Creek, Angel, Charmed, and Felicity when they were on the WB (the CW's precursor).

So, that to say, when the CW announced that they would be airing The Carrie Diaries, I was beside myself.


What's not to love? Teenage Carrie Bradshaw? Check! 1980s in all its glory? Check! Carrie's beloved voice overs throughout the show? Check! Carrie's write-ups at the show's end? Check! (Of course, as the title would suggest, this is before her computer days and the write-ups are in actual diaries, but they are still window-side as we have come to know and love.)

In episode one, Carrie has already befriended a pre-Samantha friend in Manhattan, who reminds me a lot of Downtown Julie Brown with her perky personality and spiffy accent. And Carrie has three other close friends along for the ride, that I'm sure we'll find out more about as the show progresses.

All in all, I know I will be glued to this show on Mondays at 8:00. As long as you take it for what it is (nothing more than a lighthearted look back at one of your favorite characters), I'm sure you'll enjoy it too. That is, of course, if you tend to enjoy shows that are well beyond your age bracket as well. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In