Sunday, December 2, 2012

Molasses Ginger Cookies with Lemon Icing

So last night we had the annual neighborhood Christmas Cookie Exchange party to attend.  If you haven't experienced one of these before, you are missing out!  Everyone makes a dozen cookies and brings them to share.  Then, before you leave, you take a sample of everyone else's cookies home for yourself.  Let me just tell you, I couldn't have dreamed up a more perfect party if I had created it myself.

Now, the only dilemma to these parties is trying to figure out what type of cookies to make.  In the most recent years past, we have brought Cranberry Bliss Bars and Peppermint Brownies.  But I knew I wanted to try something different this time.

So when I stumbled across the recipe for these yummy Molasses Cookies on Susan Branch's blog, I knew they would be a winner.  They are big soft cookies with a perfect lemony frosting, and her recipe has been handed down through her family for several generations. Trust me, they were a big hit with me and at the Cookie Party too!




The frosting is too yummy for words.  Yes, I did lick the bowl once all the cookies were frosted.  And looking at this picture now, I can't imagine why I didn't opt for an apron or how I managed to keep from wearing some of that frosting.



And here is the plate we brought to the Cookie Party last night. I think they turned out super! Thankfully, this recipe makes quite a few cookies, so there were also plenty left to keep safe at home with me.  :)


Yesterday was a busy day.  We had errands to run, Christmas shopping to do, cookie baking to complete and then dinner and the party.  Whew!  But what I lacked in time, I made up for with inspiration. Everywhere you turn in our kitchen, there are little Christmas-y surprises tucked away.

So I lit the lights on our kitchen tree, adorned with vintage gumdrop garland, gingerbread men, and cupcakes.




And then under the watchful eye of Baker Santa, I set up shop to bake the afternoon away.  


And finally, my little mini-Christmas village has little to do with this story, but it is tucked away in another kitchen corner, and it makes me happy every time I look at it.  So, here it is. 



Happy holiday baking to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In