Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Lucy Bag

I have found a wonderful blog via Ravelry and she posts quite a bit about crochet. And most of her crochet is really colorful. I have never been one to use every color in the rainbow in my projects. This was the first project like that for me.

And now, I'm making our dog Smitty a sweater that looks very similar to this bag. (Considering I put my projects down all the time to do other things, you'll likely see that finished up long about next July!) Anyhootle, THAT is what reminded me that I had not shown off this gem to the world.

The Lucy Bag (named after Lucy of Attic 24 Blog):







As you can see, it really does have probably every color of yarn I have ever collected since the beginning of time. (Well, maybe that is a slight exaggeration - I purposefully did not use white or black.) But, that still makes it a great stash busting project!

The free crochet pattern can be found here: Lucy Bag Pattern

I only modified the pattern slightly to include a scalloped edging at the top of the bag as follows: 7dc in same st, skip 2 st, 7dc in same st, skip 2 st; repeat all the way around.

Also, rather than putting small flowers at the tops by the handles as the original pattern called for, I made larger flowers, layered them in different color schemes, and sewed them to the front of the bag as decoration. (You can choose your favorite flower pattern or one that you're familiar with.) I sewed large colorful buttons to the centers of the flowers and to the end of each handle.

I lined the bag, which the original pattern did not call for. This was the first bag that I had ever lined, and that took longer than actually crocheting the bag (because I kept putting off the task)!

The pattern makes a very large bag. We used it last summer as a beach bag, which is why it is pictured here with beach toys and on the line with the boys' swimsuits.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In