This holiday snack mix is sure to please. Truth be told, we vegetarians tend to steer clear of homemade Chex Mix simply because they usually have Worcestershire sauce in them. (Made from anchovies - true story!)
This recipe is one that I've fiddled with until it is just spicy enough to make the kids think their pants are on fire. ;-) (It's not really that spicy, mind; they keep coming back for more.)
Liar Liar Chex Mix
4 1/2 cups Corn Chex cereal
4 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup bite sized pretzels
1 cup Cheezits
6 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 Tbsp Tabasco sauce, Sriracha, or hot sauce of choice
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion flakes
- In a large microwaveable bowl, combine cereal, nuts, pretzels, and Cheezits. Set aside.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave butter until melted, about 40 seconds. Stir in seasonings.
- Pour over cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.
Note: I have a 6 quart bowl that fits in my microwave that allows me to easily double this recipe.