Thursday, August 22, 2013

One Man's Trash - Vintage Piggy Banks

In today's installment of One Man's Trash, we make a visit to my laundry room.  What?, you ask, I thought we were talking about vintage piggy banks.  Oh, we are. Stay with me.  

We (read my handy husband and his dad) recently renovated my laundry room.  They installed a lovely folding shelf for me along with a few other modifications to our laundry set up to make things a little handier and more convenient.  I have been over the moon with results (well, as happy as one can get about laundry).  But back to the pigs...  

When you are married to a man the likes of my husband, you could almost retire early just on the sheer volume of coinage that comes through the laundry.  Now, I'm not complaining, not really.  I just usually collect it and throw it into an ugly jar that sits on top of the dryer.  But given the fancier state of my laundry facilities these days, I knew I wanted to upgrade to a large piggy bank.  I have been on the lookout for one, and hubby knew it. So when we wandered into one of our old standby antique/ junk shops and saw these beauts sitting there, we knew we were in luck. 


As I said, I wanted a large piggy bank, one that could stand up to the aforementioned load, so to speak. Each of these measures about 12 inches in length, and what's more, they were in great shape- no chips or cracks, and both still had their original stoppers.  John really liked the "wide awake" pig on the right, while I preferred the sleepy little one on the left.  So, at the end of the day I figured why not get both?  I'm sure they will both be full in no time flat.  They were a mere $6 each, and we didn't even try to haggle on this deal; didn't want to look a gift pig in the mouth.  :)

One a side note, who knew that piggy banks mostly all have bows around their necks?  I rather like that.  Guess I've not paid much attention to piggy banks over the years, but the more I research the more I find that it's hard to find one without a bow.  Hmmm, how fancy!  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In