Saturday, March 2, 2013

10 Life Lessons from Dr. Seuss

In honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday, I thought I would write a list of life lessons that we've learned from his books. "What's this?" you say. "What could I have possibly learned from the rhyming ramblings of a children's author?" I think you'd be surprised. Because between the wockets in pockets and foxes in socks, it appears that from there to here and here to there, a life lesson can truly be found anywhere . . .even in Dr. Seuss books. Read on:





  1. Trying Different Things Won't Kill You - "You do not like
    them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may. . . . Sam! If you will let me be, I will try them. You will see. Say! I like green eggs and ham! I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!" - Green Eggs and Ham







  2. Be a Good Steward of the Environment - "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." - The Lorax










  3. Deliver on Your Promises - "I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful one-hundred percent!" - Horton Hatches the Egg








  4. If You're Not Happy with an Aspect of Your Life, Change It
     - "You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Oh the Places You'll Go






  5. Money Can't Buy Happiness - "And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.

    Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?" - How the Grinch Stole Christmas





  6. Knowledge Is Power
    - "The more that you read, the more things that you'll know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!


  7. Everyone Is Equal - "A person's a person, no matter how small." Horton Hears a Who!







  8. Be Yourself
    - "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind." - Seussisms: Wise and Witty Prescriptions for Living from the Good Doctor









  9. Don't Forget to Laugh
    - "From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!" - One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish







  10. And sometimes the best example comes in the form of what not to do:
    The Truth Will Set You Free . . . But Choose Your Words Carefully - "Cat, you ruined mom's dress!

    Honey, it was ruined when she bought it." - Cat in the Hat

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In