Thursday, March 26, 2015

Never Underestimate the Importance of Spelling

Every night, I have a routine to get the boys ready for the next day at school. I go through their backpacks, pull out any papers that might have come home for review, sign any that need to go back, and pack lunches for the next day.

I recently pulled this gem out of Jaxon's backpack. As a reminder, Jaxon is 6 years old and is in kindergarten this year.



I must say that even in my shuffling of papers (there are always quite a few), this one definitely caught my attention right away.



Right there - in all its glory - MY CHILD had written "A toot is little." What? This can't be right!

What was the question the he was answering!?! "Write something that is little."

Well, technically, he's right. I mean on the grand scale of flatulence (all things being considered), I believe everyone would agree that a toot IS considered to be "little" in comparison to a full-blown fart. 

I have to tell you that I fell out laughing right there in the kitchen for AT LEAST 30 minutes. I laughed so hard that tears streamed down my face. And when I finally collected myself to mere giggles and wiped the tears from my eyes, I brought the worksheet downstairs to Jaxon and asked him about it.

And do you know what he told me?

He said, "Oh, the classroom helper who helps grade papers asked me about that sentence too! It says a TOOTH is little."

Even more laughter ensued as I explained to him that by leaving the H off of his intended word, he ended up with an entirely different sentence altogether.

God bless teachers and the helpers who grade their papers. There is no doubt in my mind that they are presented every day with example like these that would send me into fits of raging laughter. And yet, they calmly ask the kiddos what they mean and move along. That is willpower I clearly do not possess. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In