Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Decorating for Autumn: Our Halloween Kitchen


How is your seasonal decorating coming along?  I do so love this time of year, and our kitchen always gets a little makeover for Halloween.  Here's a look at some of what's happening in our kitchen this year.
 
My love for owls has been cultivated over the years, as has my owl collection.  This cookie jar, sugar bowl, and creamer proudly sit on the ledge to our kitchen pass through.  You can see here I'm putting that creamer to good use to display the last of our rose garden's summer blooms. 
 

On the other side of the same ledge you will find even more owls.  The one in the middle is another cookie jar, and it's old.  The only marking is on the inside of the lid declaring that it was "Made in the U.S.A."  If I had to guess, I would say it is maybe from the 1970s.  It came to live with us a few years ago after we rescued it from a rummage sale. The other two owls shown here are candle holders. 

 
Sitting high atop my fridge is my "Kitchen Witch".  At her feet, you will see I have added a black cat and a large pumpkin. If you decorate for Halloween, a "kitchen witch" is just a MUST!

 
Nestled in with my usual cooking oils and spices, I have added a bottle of "Poison" and "Witch Hazel".  Better not grab the wrong thing by mistake!  Or better yet, best just not to cook until that sticky little situation clears itself up!
 
 
And here's the breakfast cubby. You will see my prized Shawnee Owl cookie jar displayed here, as well as a bright little fox coffee cup.  Here's the story of the Shawnee Owl cookie jar if you would like to read more about it. 
 
 
Then on the other side of the kitchen, we have the wine "nook".  If you look closely, you will see that I've been using old wine bottles to burn taper candles lately.  We noticed that being done often when we visited Ireland and the UK, and I love the way it looks when the wax drips down the side of the bottle.  I also switched out my cookie jar to my new Charlie Cookie Jar, by Pioneer Woman.  More on that later, but he's a goodie.
 

 
 
Here's a closer look.  I melt, you sweet pup, you.
 
 
And here's a closer look at my vintage Pyrex nesting bowls.  They are the wheat pattern bowls.  There are three of them, two the color you see here and the middle bowl is a little darker orange.
 
 
There they are nesting.  I LOVE old Pyrex bowls.  They remind me of home. 
 
 
And in case you haven't seen it yet, here's my Halloween kitchen table.  And here's the link to the full story on this fun little tablescape.  
 
 
So there you have it- the grand kitchen tour.  Lots of owls, lots of orange, lots of Halloween, with a little Autumn thrown in for good measure.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In