Saturday, September 12, 2015

One Man's Trash: Vintage Items Turned Halloween Decorations

Well, I've waited ALL THE WAY until September 12 to start talking about Halloween. I've actually had my house decorated for Halloween for a few weeks now. Pro tip: to avoid having your house looking like the sad pumpkin in the second part of this meme, you have to start decorating early. :-)


So, today I thought I would share a few vintage items that I have repurposed as Halloween decor. The first is a vintage Pelham SM Witch marionette that I purchased on Girls' Weekend this year. You may remember Harris Sister Deanna writing about the vintage Pinocchio marionette that she purchased on that same trip. We actually purchased these from the same vendor.

I knew when I purchased mine that I would save her and use her for Halloween decor. Here she is next to my hand-painted Witch Sisters' Charm School sign and a small glass finial that is the perfect size to serve as her crystal ball for the season:




She is a little "loved," but I think that adds to her charm. Witches aren't supposed to look perfect anyway!

My second vintage item that is currently on display as Halloween decor is Mama's Remington typewriter. Because it is gray, it fits in perfectly with the black and white Halloween decor on display in our red dining room. 





But what the heck does a typewriter have to do with Halloween, you ask? 


I typed the phrase "If you are reading this, then you are blissfully unaware of what is creeping up behind you . . . . " into Microsoft Word and printed it out using Secret Typewriter, which is a free typewriter font. That font, as well as many other free typewriter fonts, are available at The Shabby Creek Cottage.


Make sure to take the full Halloween Home Tour from last year to see my many Halloween decorations on display including how I use my Grandmother's vintage lava lamp and Daddy's vintage Tilso skull ashtray.

And make sure to also check out Vintage Items Turned Christmas Decorations - Christmas will be here before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In