Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Meet Chance, the Rescue Pup

Today is one of our boys' birthdays. He's a whole year old today. This is our boy Chance.


He was actually our "big" Christmas gift to the boys last year. Instead of purchasing a dog before Christmas for the boys to "unwrap" (which I would generally recommend against for many reasons - the least of which being that puppies plus other assorted Christmas festivities equals enormous amounts of stress), we instead sent the boys on a scavenger hunt around the house for letters that they then assembled to spell out the word "puppy." 

After the Christmas festivities died down, we set out to a local rescue group to meet some pups. I had researched online beforehand, so I already had my eye on him (because hello? was he not THE most adorable thing you've ever seen?) and of course, we all fell in love with him when we met him.



Here he was visiting Santa last year right before we met him. Of course, I think he asked Santa for a new family (and Santa ALWAYS delivers).


The rescue group had actually rescued his mom (a German Shepherd) from the mall, and they named her Victoria after the mall store Victoria's Secret. If you're wondering what THIS Victoria's secret was, it was that she was pregnant. She gave birth to a litter of adorable puppies shortly after they rescued her, and the rescue named all of the puppies after other mall stores. Our Chance was actually named Pacsun when we adopted him. And if you look closely at the photos below, you can see that he wasn't much bigger than his "big" brother Smitty when we adopted him:





We would have probably kept his original name if it hadn't rhymed with Jaxon. But to keep my own sanity, we felt it best to think up something a little more distinctive. After kicking around a couple of options, we decided to name him after the Abba song "Take a Chance on Me." (His middle name is actually Trouper, from Abba's song "Super Trouper.")

If you're wondering why we chose to name our new puppy after Abba songs, well both Ryan and I happen to love the Abba Gold album. And these two particular songs have verses that could easily describe what a rescue dog must think at any given time during his life:

Take a Chance On Me (excerpt)

If you change your mind, I'm the first in line
Honey I'm still free
Take a chance on me
If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
Honey I'm still free
Take a chance on me
Gonna do my very best and it ain't no lie
If you put me to the test, if you let me try

Take a chance on me
(That's all I ask of you honey)
Take a chance on me

Super Trouper (excerpt)

So I'll be there when you arrive
The sight of you will prove to me I'm still alive
And when you take me in your arms
And hold me tight
I know it's gonna mean so much tonight

Tonight the
Super Trouper lights are gonna find me
Shining like the sun
Smiling, having fun
Feeling like a number one

And if you're wondering about our boy Chance. Well, he's adjusting perfectly. He follows me all around the house, plays with his brothers, has learned all of his commands, and is particularly fond of sticks. Just a big baby with a super big heart - and really that's all you can ever ask for in a pet.


Here he is today in some familiar poses (although he's a tad bit bigger). Note his bed, Ryan, and the boys are roughly the same size as they were when we adopted him (for size comparison). What a difference a year makes!




And if you haven't ever considered rescuing a pet, give it some thought. If you're looking for a particular breed, age, gender, etc., start with Petfinder.com. You can enter your location and any of these criteria to narrow your search. This website will find a local rescue group that has a pet that meets these criteria. Could not be easier!

The rescue group that we worked with to adopt Chance was Stepping Stones Canine Rescue. They are a charitable and educational non-profit corporation located in Winston-Salem, NC. If you are looking to adopt in this area, I cannot recommend this group enough. They are very thorough and really care about the animals that they rescue.

Read about the origins of brother Smitty's distinctive middle name here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In