Sunday, September 20, 2015

Decorating for Autumn: Halloween Tablescape

It's that time of year again!  Fall is nearing; the sun and shadows play in new patterns as the days grow shorter. There is a coolness to the breeze, hinting of things to come.  Pumpkins, squash and apples ripen to their finest.  And so we begin to long for a change of seasons and all that autumn brings.  

For me, as always, a change of seasons also marks the change of my kitchen table setting.  And this time of year I bring out my Halloween table.  It's a lot of fun, a lot of orange, and not at all scary.  :)

Here's a bird's eye view of the Halloween table in action.


But let's break things down and bring you in a for a closer look.  This giant candy bowl came from Sam's Club years ago.  I haven't seen one there like it since.   It sure is a treasure though, and I'm glad I found it back then.  

Next to it is a vintage owl pitcher.  It's got some age on it.  We found it while out treasure hunting in North Carolina a few years ago.  Since there's nothing particularly Halloween-y about it other than the fact that it's shaped like an owl, I get other use out of it too.  But I do think he looks just right tucked into this table.



Now, let's take a closer look at the individual place settings.  This is my seat at the table, hence the owl plate.  I'm an owl lover from way back- before owls were as "cool" as they are today.  Each place has it's own different Halloween plate.  There's also a pumpkin, a bat, and a black cat.  The spider web napkins came from Pottery Barn.  The Jack O'Lantern mugs were a flea market find.  And I found the pumpkin-shaped place card holders in Lexington, KY at Christmas time one year!  


I've had this little bronze colored owl for as long as I can remember.  The acorn shaped bowl and spoon came from Hallmark last year (gift with purchase), as did the acorn candle beside it.  But that one is new to table this year. 


The copper colored squirrel came from Walmart, of all places, last year.  I think he was literally $3 or less.  You just never know where inspiration will strike!


And I'm in love with this bowl of vintage Halloween noisemakers!  The bowl itself is part of the set of tin Jack O'Lantern mugs that I just mentioned, but makes a nifty home for these old Halloween toys!



The table is full of pumpkins too.  I love, love, love the pumpkin bucket in the background of this pic. The candy bowl in the foreground is another favorite.  I usually fill it with candy corn, which doesn't last long in this house!




And check out my placecards!  I decided to print some and add them to my pumpkin card holders this year.  I thought "Samantha" seemed appropriate for the witch.  Here's the link to these retro Halloween placecard printables.  They are free and they are fabulous!
 


And finally, remember my vintage mini blackboard?  I last used it for my cherry table over the summer months.  Now it's back on the table again, this time for Halloween.  


So there you have it!  Hope your Halloween decorating is off to a good start too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In