Monday, April 29, 2013

What Frankie Valli Doesn't Know About Laundry . . .

"Dawn, go away, I'm no good for you . . . "

Frankie, you might not be any good for Dawn, but you NEED Dawn if you want to save your laundry from dreaded grease stains (so don't push her away, hint, hint).


Now, I know you've seen on Pinterest that you can mix up some concoction of original Dawn, baking soda, and peroxide. Well, when I needed to clean a shirt recently, I didn't happen to have any peroxide on hand, I don't use original Dawn, and quite frankly, I was skeptical about what baking soda would do for a grease stain. So, I just gathered these materials - apple scented Dawn and a scrub brush.



Take a looky here at one of Aidyn's shirts - this is the before picture with a few grease stains on it. (I know I stay awake at night trying to figure out what in the world these kids are spilling all over their shirts, and I can't come up with anything.) For what it's worth, this had already been washed and dried so the stains are good and set in. Lucky me!



Squirt some Dawn (whatever type you have on hand) onto the stains. Don't be stingy!


Go all Tony Danza on it (and by that I mean to show it Who's the Boss) - I hope you're picking up that I'm telling you to scrub it with the scrub brush that you've gotten out here, people.


I usually let this sit while I do another load of laundry. For example, since this is a dark T-shirt. I let this sit while I did a load of lights. THEN, I washed this with the load of darks using regular detergent for the whole load. (If it matters to anyone, I use Kirkland brand Environmentally friendly scent-free detergent with Clorox 2 - so fancy!)

Looky at the finished product:


Now, I will tell you that I have done this before with other shirts and if the stains didn't come out completely, I just repeated the process. And the stain always comes out on the second try. (Just think of it as an opportunity to go Tony Danza AND Alyssa Milano on your stain.)

Anyhootle, give this a try the next time your kids or husband shows up with some unexplained greasy stain on an article of clothing. It works quite well!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you took a hint from Frank Sinatra & "did it your way"!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Be Interested In