Monday, April 1, 2013

Frozen Lemonade Pie

OK, I'm going to give it to you straight. This recipe will not earn you accreditation as a fancy pants baker. It has a bunch of ingredients that aren't necessarily THAT good for you. BUT! It IS a dessert, so if that buys any goodwill with those sorts of things, you might want to give it a try before completely turning your nose up at it.

I made it for Easter, and it was a hit. And I figured if it is good enough for the Food Network stars, the Neelys, it has to be good enough for the Walkushes:



Frozen Lemonade Pie
recipe courtesy The Neelys

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
7 Tbsp butter, melted
1, 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1, 12 oz. container whipped topping, thawed
1, 6 fluid oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate, unthawed
1 tsp candied lemon peel, for garnish

  1. For the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In medium bowl, stir together the cracker crumbs, sugar and the melted butter until combined and resembles a wet sand mixture. Pour into a pie plate and press the mixture firmly along the bottom and sides. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
  3. For the filling: In a large bowl, add the sweetened condensed milk and whipped topping. Fold the two together gently until combined, being careful to keep the mixture light and fluffy. Add the lemonade concentrate and continue to gently fold. Be sure to avoid letting the mixture get too liquid-y. Pour the filling into the pie crust. Place in the freezer to chill overnight.
  4. Sprinkle with a little candied lemon peel and serve!
Notes:
  • Since this recipe is full of other not-so-fancy ingredients, I didn't bother making a crust from scratch. I used one made by Keebler elves, and it worked just fine.
  • I also omitted the fancy pants candied lemon peel garnish, and I don't think anyone was the wiser.
  • I could not find a 6 oz. can of lemonade concentrate, so I used 1/2 of a 12 oz. can. I also used pink lemonade concentrate. However, the pink color was not as intense as I would have liked, so I included 3 drops of red food coloring to achieve the color you see in the photos above. 
  • I could not find a 12 oz. carton of whipped topping, so I used 1 1/2, 8 oz. cartons. Look at me with the maths!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In