Saturday, February 9, 2013

Now You're Just Somebody That I Used to Know


And that got me thinking that there is an entire WORLD of things that the boys know nothing about now. Things are so different compared to when I grew up. Aside from the walking to school in the snow. . . uphill  .. . both ways . . . , these are a few things that spring to mind.


Maps- Neither of them will ever remember a time without GPS. I can distinctly remember when Aidyn was about two and he found it funny to try to mimic what the GPS lady said, even though he didn't quite understand what she was saying. So, "Turn right, followed by, turn left" to him sounded like "Turn right, Fruit Pie, turn left." I always told Ryan that he was "Fruit Pie" and he always told me I was "Fruit Pie" - we were at an impasse. And if you think about it, the only map that either of them has ever experienced is the one that Dora carries around, and it talks and tells you where to go - much more GPS-like than any of us would care to acknowledge.







Payphones - Other than the Maroon 5 song, which both of them know, I don't think either of them have ever SEEN a payphone. And, I don't know if payphones even exist anymore (outside of music videos, which no longer play on MTV, but I digress).



Rotary Dial Phones - Speaking of phones, the good ol' rotary dial phone is pretty much a thing of the past. We have a phone that is made to look like a rotary dial, but it has buttons where the dial would have been.


Phone Numbers - Even if either of the boys were to happen upon a payphone or a rotary dial, I don't know what they would do to call someone. We are all so used to scrolling to someone's name and selecting it to make a phone call that the practice of remembering full phone numbers has nearly disappeared. Remember 867-5309? Jenny's phone number might be the last phone number that anyone remembers for a very long time.


Film for Cameras - At least since we've had the boys, our cameras have been digital. I don't think either of them have ever seen a roll of film or would know what to do with it. Unfortunately, because they've grown up with digital cameras, they are forced to suffer through "just one more" because you can preview the photos as you take them. When you only had 24 or 36 pictures to a roll of film, I remember being more careful about the photos I took (and even then you didn't know what they looked like until you developed them).



Card Catalogs - To tell you the truth, I haven't even looked around our local library enough to tell you if they even still have them there. I know that the computer look-up stations abound and that is where it was headed when I was frequenting the library IN COLLEGE. Methinks this is why it is so en vogue to repurpose card catalogs as household furniture. (Information for the project at the left can be found here: Toone Family Blog.)





Encyclopedias - That is where we used to look up our information for reports, science projects, and such in the olden days. (Hey kids, when I was your age, we didn't have the Internets!) Now that most all research is done online, it makes me truly wonder about the fate of one Encyclopedia Brown . . . Do kids just think that this fictional investigator just has the strangest name ever?






Manually Unlocking Car Doors with a Key - You know what, if you were to ask me right now if my car even had keyhole on the outside doors, I would have to go look to give you a correct answer. Ever since the boys have been around, we have always used the keyless remote - bloop bloop. I know Ryan's car has keyholes on the car doors, but that is only because his keyless remote broke and he had to kick it old school (gasp!) until he got the remote fixed.



Purchasing Current Music from a Brick and Mortar Store - This one is near and dear to my heart. When I was in college, I worked for Blockbuster Music. Most people associate Blockbuster with movies, but they had music stores too. And those stores sold CDs (and at the time, we still sold cassettes if you can believe it). We had a listening bar, where you could pull up a barstool and give a CD a listen before determining if you wanted to commit to the WHOLE DARN THING or, wait for it, the ever-popular (say it with me) single (that they were wearing out on the radio and your local music store employees were, quite frankly, sick of hearing). Nowadays, the only music stores you're likely to step foot into are those selling vintage vinyl. And, thank goodness that has not gone the way of the dinosaur.


Postal Service on Saturdays - Beginning in August, the USPS will institute a five-day delivery schedule. Banks closed up shop on Saturdays long ago and now this. Thankfully, banks no longer have to be open for you to do business with them (online banking and ATMs are what kids nowadays are used to).


These are just 10 things that my kids won't know. Feel free to post comments about anything else that comes to mind. And if anyone would like to weigh in on the aforementioned Fruit Pie debate, feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In