Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ooh, Baby, Baby Afghan

Whenever we have a little one joining the family, I get crafty. So, this crocheted afghan was my latest creation for my husband's cousin.


One of my favorite sites is Ravelry. Once you create an account (for free!), you then have access to tons of free crochet and knitting patterns, you can post photos of your creations, and you can interact with other fiber artists such as myself.

For new those new to the craft, the benefit is that the patterns have been tested and people leave comments so that you can tell right away if the pattern will work for you. You can also join groups and get tips and advice from "dyed-in-the-wool" knitters and crocheters and see their expertly crafted projects, which helps you develop as an artist. As Martha would say - it's a good thing.

This baby blanket, for example, was created by joining 9 separate 12" square patterns that all use the same color motif. These are the free crochet patterns for the squares I used in this afghan:


I have found through trial and error with my own kids that about 3' X 3' square is the perfect size for a baby blanket. (While it might seem large for a newborn, newborns grow really fast and toddlers like blankets too!) So an easy way to get an afghan that size is to make 9, 12" squares and then join them together in a grid of three across and three down like I did for this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In