If you've never had coffee cake before, it kind of falls into a special category of food. It's equally at home on your breakfast table as it would be for an afternoon snack or an after-dinner dessert.
And this one in particular is special because it incorporates baked apples to make it perfect for Fall. I think you'll love this one.
Glazed Apple Coffee Cake
2 1/2 cups baked apples
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and nuts. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, milk, 1/2 cup butter, vanilla, and eggs.
- Mix with an electric mixer on low 30 seconds and then on medium 2 minutes.
- Spread half of batter into prepared pan.
- Spread half of apples evenly over batter. Spread half of brown sugar mixture evenly over apples.
- Spread remaining batter evenly over brown sugar mixture and spread remaining apples over top.
- Mix 3 Tbsp melted butter with remaining brown sugar mixture. Spread evenly over top of cake.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until tester comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes before covering in glaze (recipe follows).
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4-5 tsp hot water
To make this recipe even easier, feel free to substitute one 20 oz. can of apple pie filling for the baked apples.
Make sure to check out our Crockpot Baked Apples recipe. It is one of our most popular recipes and it couldn't be easier to make.