Apple season is upon us, so I wanted to share a new recipe that is not only easy but also delicious. I think you'll like it. If you're a fan of our Baked French Toast Casserole with Praline Topping or Baked Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast Casserole, this one will be right up your alley!
Perfect with a cup of your favorite pumpkin spice coffee!
Apple Pie French Toast Casserole
1 stick butter, cubed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans
1, 16 oz loaf French bread, sliced
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups baked apples*
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside
- In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Mix together with a fork until mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Arrange bread slices in baking dish in two rows so that each slice overlaps the previous slice. Pour egg mixture over top of bread, making sure that each piece is generously coated.
- Evenly spread baked apples over top of bread.
- Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over top of apples.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
To make this recipe an "overnight" recipe, assemble the casserole, cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking as directed.
To make this recipe even simpler, you can substitute one 20 oz can of apple pie filling for the baked apples. However, do check out our recipe for Crockpot Baked Apples. It is about the easiest recipe you will ever come across and it makes your house smell heavenly! If you happen to score a huge haul of apples at once, you can easily double the recipe and fit it into one large crockpot.