If you're already a fan of Baked French Toast Casserole, which is a great breakfast recipe to prepare the night before you need it and then pop in the oven to bake in the morning, you're going to love this recipe! THIS recipe uses the same concept except it incorporates a layer of strawberries and another layer of cream cheese filling. Wowsa!
Overnight Baked Strawberry French Toast Casserole
12 slices Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2, 8 oz packages cream cheese
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
6 Tbsp milk
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
6 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup maple syrup
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange half of the bread cubes in the dish. Set aside.
- Mix together cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and 6 Tbsp milk, and spread over bread cubes.
- Spread 2 cups strawberries over the cream cheese mixture and top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covered. Uncover and continue baking for another 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.
- Serve with confectioner's sugar, maple syrup, or homemade Strawberry Syrup.