This syrup is a companion to our Overnight Strawberry French Toast Casserole recipe. It gives the recipe a little extra oomph. But, if you're short on time and can't make the entire casserole and syrup combo, the syrup alone is also a sure-fired way to jazz up regular pancakes or waffles too. Give it a try - I know you'll love it!
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
1 Tbsp butter
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Mix in the strawberries. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter.
- Serve over your favorite waffles, pancakes, French toast, or crepes. Alternately, this versatile sauce also makes a nice companion to desserts, so drizzle it over ice cream or cake and serve with a side of whipped cream.
If you prefer blueberries, give our homemade Blueberry Syrup recipe a try.