Sunday, August 3, 2014

Summer Theater

Growing up in a small town, it seems like everyone, at one time or another, had the chance to grace the stage of The Kirby Theater. Here, Deanna and I pose in front of it before last year's production of The Wizard of Oz.


Sadly, I have no pictures of my brief time in the spotlight, but I do still have an original Velveteen Rabbit playbook "customized" by yours truly that I keep inside my Strawberry Shortcake lunchbox from kindergarten.  

 

We are a musical family and by musical, I mean we like the musicals!  Baby Emma Lola has hits from "Mamma Mia", "Newsies", and "Annie" on her Youtube playlist, and it would just be the best day ever if I could find my soundtrack to the "King and I" on vinyl, but that is neither here nor there.  (or anywhere as far as I can tell!)

Ever since I encouraged Charlotte to try summer theater, she has had a blast. This year they performed Peter Pan, and it was just darling. Charlotte was cast as Lyria, a storytelling fairy:


Part of the fun, for me, was putting together the costume. I took one look at this fairy and immediately thought about a dress that I already had in my costume closet. A few years back, Charlotte was Wilma Flintstone for Halloween and Emma Lola was Pebbles:


The dress wasn't quite white though, so after a lightening effort and a whole lot of Clorox, I hand painted the bottom, and probably have spent the most time in the past five days just doing hair and makeup. (and ears!)


And here she is singing with her fairy family:


A star is born:  Charlotte rode to her play in style.  Daddy was kind enough to chauffeur in his classic Volkswagen Beetle!


Today wraps up this year's summer theater.  We have been flying to Neverland every night for five weeks, so I guess now would be a good time for a good ole fashioned roadtrip.  Hmmm...I wonder how the hubby would feel about a mixtape of musicals.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In