A trifle? A trifle! So very fancy you might think, but it's actually one of the easiest recipes you can put together AND it gets extra bonus points for being pretty.
Methinks people started calling this dessert a trifle to up the fancy quotient. But I've certainly heard them called punch bowl cakes in my day. And in tribute, I dug out my very own punch bowl to make this one in. Doesn't seem quite as daunting now, does it? :-)
Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle
2, 16 oz. containers fresh strawberries
1 prepared Angel food cake
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon Almond extract
2, 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
16 oz container Cool Whip
- If desired, set aside a few strawberries for garnish. Tear Angel food cake into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Slice remaining strawberries and add 1/2 cup sugar and almond extract.
- Blend together cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed for one minute until ingredients are incorporated. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat two minutes more. The mixture should look well blended.
- Fold in Cool Whip by hand.
- Place 1/2 of cake pieces in bottom of trifle or punch bowl, then 1/2 of strawberry mixture, then 1/2 of cream cheese mixture. Repeat.
- Top with reserved strawberries. Place in refrigerator to cool before serving.