A few weeks ago, I bought this T-shirt for Aidyn from Crazy 8:
And, I have to say that until I bought that shirt, it hadn't really dawned on me how much Santa Claus is really like a pirate. Looky at this illustration though, I think you'd be surprised at the resemblance:
Similarities Between Santa Claus and Pirates
- One travels the world to deliver toys. One travels the world in search of booty.
- Both are known for their long beards.
- Both are known for their iconic hats, boots, belts, and heavy coats.
- One says "Ho, Ho, Ho!" One says "Yo, Ho, Ho!"
- One has a team of elves. One has crew members.
- Both are closely associated with animals: reindeer and parrots.
- One drinks eggnog, which includes rum. One drinks rum.
- One is a jolly old elf. One flies the Jolly Roger flag.
So, if you're looking to celebrate Christmas like a true pirate, here are a few things you can do:
- Pop over to our International Talk Like a Pirate Day post to check out links for generating your pirate name and translating any Christmas text you might like.
- Add Ho, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Rum by Jimmy Buffet to your Christmas Playlist: