Thursday, September 5, 2013

One Man's Trash - Dazey Churn

Before we begin, does anyone actually know what a Dazey Churn is?   If you do, then you are already one step ahead of the game.  If not, no worries.  I myself had no idea what this was until my husband saw it on a shelf in an antique store and just had to have it.  So he started up a LONGGGG conversation with the shop owner about this item before I really even knew what the heck they were talking about.


This is a good old fashioned butter churn.  You use it to make butter from milk and/or cream.  John has often talked about how he and his brother took turns churning butter by hand each year at Thanksgiving.  Apparently, this was a task delegated to the kids- probably because they were the only ones brave enough to take it on.  

When he saw this one, his eyes lit up and I knew it was coming home with us.  And yes, we will be using it at Thanksgiving this year.  Hopefully, we can resurrect his childhood tradition and keep it going now that we are the proud owners of this beauty.  

Sadly, he has some sort of misguided notion that I will be the one churning the butter all by myself. While I will be happy to give it a go for my share of the turns, I assured him that we will all be pitching in on this little chore.  Wouldn't want to save all the fun for myself.  Anyway, this was his childhood memory, so I figure he needs to be sure to take part.  If I were to relive my own childhood Thanksgiving memories, it might involve a few smoke detectors going off.  ;-)  Just sayin'...

1 comment:

  1. Can he make it in the shape of a turkey? Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Be Interested In