I vaguely remember having potato pancakes a few times when we were kids. Ryan Barrett Walkush, however, contends that this food was one of his fondest memories growing up. So, every now and again he will ask me to make them.
This recipe is a good way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, and it cooks up quickly! Give it a try and I'm sure you'll like it too.
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 large egg, beaten lightly
6 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbsp minced onion
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the potatoes and the egg.
- Stir in the flour, onion, and salt and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1/8 inch of oil over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking.
- Drop the potato mixture by large spoonfuls into the heated oil, flattening slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Fry for approximately one minute on each side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the pancakes as they are cooked onto paper towels to drain.
- Serve topped with sour cream or applesauce.
Make sure to check out these other tried and true Harris Sisters potato recipes: