Looking for a new crockpot recipe to try? Well, temperatures are dropping rapidly in these parts, so soup is on heavy rotation on the menu. This recipe was quick and easy to make and was quite tasty. Give it a try; it does not disappoint!
Crockpot Potato Leek Soup
3-4 leeks, sliced - white and very light green part only (about 4 cups)
4 medium-sized baking potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups vegetable broth
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
2/3 cup half-and-half
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
sour cream and sliced green onions for serving
- Put the leeks and potatoes in the crockpot.
- Add vegetable broth (should cover the leeks and potatoes).
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- One hour before soup is finished cooking, puree with an immersion blender.
- Add chopped spinach and continue cooking.
- Before serving, add half and half and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Serve with sour cream and sliced green onions.
"But I don't know what the heck a leek is! I've never cooked with one before!" It's very similar to a large green onion. It just gives a little oomph to the soup. Don't be intimidated. :-)
"But I don't like spinach!" Then, leave it out altogether, let the soup cook for a full 6 hours straight then after pureeing the soup, just skip directly from step 4 to step 6.
"Where's the bacon? I usually put that in my potato soup." I don't generally include directions for adding bacon in my vegetarian recipes, but you do whatever floats your boat. ;-)