I really can't tell you the last time I made a casserole, but they're certainly a staple in Southern cooking. This one was very quick and easy to make and because it had veggies that the boys liked, I'm going to consider this one a hit!
Cheesy Broccoli Corn Casserole
1 bunch fresh broccoli, chopped into florets
1 1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 15 oz. can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8" x 11.5" (2 qt) casserole dish with cooking spray. Arrange broccoli florets in the dish. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter. Add onion and garlic. Saute until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually, add 1/4 of the milk mixture to the onions. Stir mixture and let the sauce thicken before adding more milk. Continue adding the mixture, stirring after each addition, until you have added all of the milk.
- Add 1 cup of cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the corn and stir until coated with sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli, spreading to ensure that broccoli is fully covered. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl, melt 2 Tbsp butter. Mix melted butter and crushed crackers. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 27 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.