I started a Pinterest board last year to gather ideas on Fall Fashion, and I have slowly been adding to it. If you are interested in checking it out, click here for the direct link to my board. As I have mentioned before, I tend to dress for the calendar more so than the actual weather, within reason, of course. But my calendar now proudly boasts the first of the "ber" months so I am starting to prepare for the transition to fall weather and therefore, fall fashion.
So what are my must-haves for this fall? I'm so glad you asked. Here are my top 10 wardrobe basics for the fall.
1. Chambray Shirts: This is a classic wardrobe staple. Chambrays are PERFECT for layering, under cardigans or sweaters, or over t-shirts or tanks. They look great with colored denim, as well as with dark denim, or even long flowy skirts. If I could only add one item to my fall shopping list, it would be this.
2. Animal Print Scarves: Animal prints are making a big comeback this year. I prefer leopard print to other animal prints, mostly because of the way the coloring looks on me, but you really can't go wrong regardless which print you choose. I like scarves like this one- flowy and long. That way you can tie it in multiple ways. In this case, I think the leopard print looks great when paired with red or even over the chambray shirt above.
3. Tall Riding Boots: I am in love with riding boots. They are so comfortable to wear, and let's face it, they are also just plain stylish. I have several pairs that I've had for several seasons. The trick to their longevity is to buy quality items up front, and then make sure you take good care of them along the way. Leather needs cleaning, polishing, and protecting (depending on the kind of material), so take good care of them, and they will last for seasons to come.
4. Skinny Jeans: Let's be clear, the "skinny" part of these jeans refers to the shape of the jeans themselves, not the shape of the wearer. No matter your shape, you can likely pull off this look. I tend to wear tall boots with my skinny jeans, just to help balance the look. But lots of people also wear these with ballet flats. I'm thinking my first four items on this list are shaping up to make a pretty cute basic fall outfit so far.
5. Colored Tights: Colored tights can liven up a basic outfit in no time flat by adding a pop of color to otherwise neutral outfits. But remember if you are choosing a colored tight, you want to add it to a neutral outfit. Otherwise, you might come off looking like Rainbow Brite. And if you are a little scared of color, you could start with a colored tight in a less bold color, such as brown. For me, I like to pair colored tights with tall boots, so just a little color peeks out between the hem of my dress and the top of my boots.
6. Drapey Ponchos: I love ponchos and capes for the fall. They are cozy and stylish without being too bulky. This one also features a cowl neckline, another favorite of mine. I would wear this over a long sleeved tshirt, and pop it on or off as the weather changes through the day.
7. Chunky Sweaters: Similar to the poncho, but the chunky sweater is intended to be worn on it's own rather than as outerwear. I love chunky knits, and this one just fits the bill. It just looks cozy and warm. Yet, it's super stylish. I would pair this with my skinny jeans and animal print scarf, and just like that, you've got your outfit.
8. Knit Socks: I am a big fan of knit socks. Check out how these are styled- over a warm pair of tights and under tall boots. The layering is what makes this look work, and this look also provides the added bonus of extra warmth for your legs and feet on cool fall days.
9. Anything in Mustard Yellow: This is a hot color for the Fall. As you switch out your closet, it's time to put away the bright sunshine yellows that we tend to wear in the Spring and Summer, and instead pull out your warm mustard toned yellows to transition to Fall. Of course, I love this sweater. A scarf in this color would also be fantastic if you just want a pop of color.
10. Camel Colored Handbags: And finally, I always finish off my fall fashion choices with a camel-colored handbag. This color just screams warm and rich. In fact, I just switched to my trusty autumn bag today, and it already has me dreaming of cooler days ahead.
So, there's my list of must haves for the fall. What are your fashion go-to's for the cooler months?