Sunday, September 9, 2018

Getting Ready for a Second Chance Prom

Just two weeks ago, the president of our local chapter of the Autism Society and fellow homeschool mom announced that she would be hosting a second chance prom to help fund the sensory friendly activities and events that they have planned for their members throughout the year.

I can't say that I am in need of a second chance for my prom.  I have some great memories of my last years in high school. With traveling buddies and kindred spirits alike, I made my way through high school.



...But a second chance at the 80s: yes, please!  This would combine two of my favorite things, thrifting and costuming.  First things first, I googled Glamour Shots and much to my chagrin, they are practically non-existent, here in NC anyway, so any big hair was going to have to be done by yours truly with the aid of some Aquanet (if that was still in production).  

I started scouting out dresses online.  It didn't take long to realize that this little endeavor was going to require some legwork.  I checked out some local places, including a little place I like to call Daddy's closet and came up empty handed except for these little numbers:



That's right, these are original, dyed-to-match, satin pumps.  Worn only once, I'm sure, I pulled them directly from the back of Daddy's time capsule closet.  But sadly, with no matching dress, I was headed to the infamous Megathrift in Harris Sister Donna's neighborhood.  I was not disappointed.  They had rack upon rack of dresses.



After quite a search (who would have thought that all prom dresses would be in junior sizes!), I did end up with quite a selection, which is when I thought we might see what Facebook had to say.


Here's what we were working with, options 1-5 that you voted for on our Facebook Page in no particular order:




The majority just loved the "Back in Black Lace Halter" dress, and I must admit I am in love with it too, but since I was going for an '80s look, I chose "Billie Green".


I snazzed it up with some polkadot tights, satin gloves (of course), plenty of jewelry and who could forget the blue eye shadow?

'80s hair is no easy task!  After some two hours of getting ready, I was off to meet up with my fellow second chancers for dinner.


We ate and messed around with Snapchat filters.  Typical prom stuff, amIright?



My honey bunny joined us for the prom.



We danced and ate and talked about what in the world we are going to do with all these extra dresses!
We're thinking--cruise!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In