Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Forever Country: 50 Years of Country Music Greatness

In celebration of CMA's 50 year anniversary this year, they recently created and released the Forever Country music video.  It is a mash up of three iconic country music songs- John Denver's Country Road, Willie Nelson's On the Road Again, and Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You.  The Harris Sisters recently shared this video among ourselves, and while we don't always agree on music, this was one that satisfied even our diverse musical tastes. 



The video features 30 CMA Award Winning artists- everyone from Ronnie Milsap and Charlie Pride to 1990s sensations Reba and Brooks and Dunn to newer artists like Brett Eldridge and Kacy Musgraves.   Brad Paisley is the first artist to sing on the track. Faith Hill is the first female artist to add her vocals.  Little Big Town is the first country group to chime in (and incidentally, they appear in the video and throughout the song more than any other artist).  Willie Nelson (of course) sings parts of his famous On the Road Again, and Dolly Parton is the last artist to appear as she finishes off the track with her famous I Will Always Love You lyrics. John Denver is no longer with us to add his talents to his famous Country Road, and his absence makes you miss him, and lots of others, who have already passed on.

For those paying close attention, you will also note that Randy Travis makes a cameo in the video, though he doesn't actually sing.  Sadly, he suffered a stroke a while back and isn't able to but I love that he is included in the piece.  He is also credited as one of the 30 artists. Here's the video.  Check it out.  I keep watching over and over (and over).  I see and hear something new every time, and I cannot get enough. 


I thought this video was really neat too.  It's the making of the video, and shows and explains how they put it all together- lots of behind the scenes too.  


And in case you are still trying to figure out who's who in the video and who's singing which parts (especially as the songs start to layer over one another), here's the breakdown you are looking for.


Part 1: John Denver, “Take Me Home, Country Roads”

Almost heaven, West Virginia (Brad Paisley) / Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River (Keith Urban) / Life is old there, older than the trees (Tim McGraw) / Younger than the mountains (Faith Hill) / Growing like a breeze (Hill, McGraw) / Country roads, take me home (Little Big Town) / To the place (Luke Bryan) / I belong (Bryan, Miranda Lambert) / West Virginia (Lambert), Mountain mama (Bryan) / Take me home (Blake Shelton) / Country roads (George Strait).”

Part 2: Dolly Parton, “I Will Always Love You” mashup with “Take Me Home Country Roads”

If I … (Kacy Musgraves), All my memories (Eric Church) / Should stay (Musgraves), They gather ‘round her (Church) / I would only be in your way (Musgraves), Miner’s lady, stranger to blue water (Ronnie Milsap) / So I’ll go (Charley Pride), Dark and dusty (Dierks Bentley) / Yet I know (Pride, Musgraves), Painted on the sky (Bentley) / I’ll think of you each step of the way (Trisha Yearwood), Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye (Bentley) / Country roads, take me home (Lady Antebellum) / To the place, I belong (Shelton),And I … (Carrie Underwood) / West Virginia, mountain mama (Strait), And I … (Underwood, continued) / Take me home, country roads (Darius Rucker), Will always love you (Martina McBride).”

Part 3: Willie Nelson, “On the Road Again” mashup with “Take Me Home, Country Roads” and “I Will Always Love You”

On the road again (Jason Aldean) / Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway (Rascal Flatts) / We’re the best of friends (Aldean) / Insisting that the world keep turning our way, and our way (Willie Nelson) / Country roads, take me home (Brooks & Dunnwith a reply from Alabama) / To the place (Rucker), And I … (LBT) / I belong (Rucker), Will always love you you (LBT) / West Virginia, mountain mama (Brett Eldredge), I will always love you (Reba McEntire) / Oh take me home, country roads (Urban).”

Part 4: The Finale — An all-song mashup

Oh I hope life treats you kind, and I hope you have all you dreamed of (Reba McEntire) / I wish you joy and happiness (Alan Jackson) / But above all this I wish you love (Vince Gill) / And I … (Carrie Underwood) / Will always love you, I … (Underwood with Paisley) / Will always love you (McBride), Take me home (LBT) / Country roads (LBT) / Take me home (Bentley, Musgraves) / And I … (Yearwood), Country roads (Bentley, Musgraves) / On the road again (McGraw), Will always (Yearwood) / Love You (Yearwood) / I will (Hill) /Just can’t wait to get on the road again (Jackson), Will always (Hill), Take me home (Bryan) / Love (Hill) / Country roads (Church) / You (Hill), The life I love is making (Eldredge) / Music with my friends (Eldredge), Take me home (Milsap) / And I will always love you… (McBride), With my friends (McEntireLambert) / Country roads (Milsap) / I can’t wait to get on the road again (Aldean) / Take me home, country roads (LBT) / And I will always love you, I will always love you (Dolly Parton).”


The 2016 CMA Awards will air on Nov. 2 at 8PM ET on ABC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In