Friday, December 11, 2015

Meet Hipster Santa

Let me first begin by saying I don't make the news; I just report it.  Further, I am about the last person on Earth who should be providing any insight on hipsters.  I mean, about once a year Harris Sister Misty tries in vain to once again explain the concept of "hipsters" to me.  I'm not too proud to say I still don't get it (and probably never will).  

 
But I do know what Santa Claus is supposed to look like.  Remember...  He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf.  And he was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot.  Pictures of the classic Father Christmas come to mind in his timeless red suit and hat, tall black boots, and wide black belt.   The Coca Cola Santa featured so prominently in ads from my childhood will always be "my" version of Santa.
 
 

I certainly don't recall anything about Santa wearing thick-rimmed glasses, jeans, sneakers, and a Mr. Rogers style sweater to say nothing of the man bun he's sporting these days at a mall in Portland, Oregon.  Just check old Saint Nick out.  Not a swatch of red suit or hat to be found.  Oh dear.  I think the pendulum may have just swung too far the other way this time.

 

In any case, he's been getting a lot of attention, mostly good, really.  Parents in the area like him, noting that he's less imposing without the red suit.  And the kids don't seem to mind as long as he will still take their Christmas lists.  So maybe he's not so bad, right?  I'm sure he's a nice fellow and all, but I think we will just be sticking with the classic version of Santa for our foreseeable future. You gotta give it to the guy though.  He's one hip Santa.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In