This is a simple side dish that ups the ante on your run of the mill baked potato AND its a good way to sneak veggies into the menu if you need to do that. :-)
Broccoli and Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes
8 baking potatoes
2 bunches fresh broccoli, chopped into small florets
1 stick butter
1 cup sour cream
2 cups cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp garlic powder
3 green onions, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake potatoes for 1 hour, making sure they're cooked through.
- While potatoes cook, steam broccoli florets in microwave, about 2 minutes.
- Slice the butter into pats. Place in a large mixing bowl with sour cream.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven. Lower the heat to 350 degrees.
- Allow potatoes to cool slightly before handling. Then, with a sharp knife cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out the insides into the mixing bowl.
- Place the potato shells on a baking sheet.
- Use a potato masher to combine the potatoes into the butter and sour cream. Add 1 cup cheese, milk, garlic powder, green onions, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix together well.
- Fill the potato shells with the filling.
- Top each potato with more grated cheese and put them back into the oven until the potato is warmed through, about 15 to 20 minutes.