With the teams for the Super Bowl now decided, it's time to start thinking about your snack menu for the big game day ahead. This one is a sure-fired crowd pleaser, combining spicy sausage with plump mushrooms. But here's the rub, they sure do go fast, so plan accordingly. :)
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
3 Italian hot sausages, casings removed
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1 large egg yolk
24 large mushrooms, stemmed
1/3 cup dry white wine
- Saute sausage and oregano in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is cooked through and brown, breaking into small pieces. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage mixture to a large bowl to cool.
- Mix in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder, then cream cheese. Season filling with salt and pepper; mix in egg yolk.
- Brush glass baking dish with olive oil to coat.
- Brush cavity of each mushroom cap with white wine; fill with 1 Tbsp filling and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange mushrooms, filling side up in prepared dish. (Can be made a day ahead, cover and chill.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Baked uncovered until mushrooms are tender and filling is brown on top, about 25 minutes.
This would also make an excellent appetizer for Thanksgiving Day, methinks.