This recipe is definitely a keeper. It cooks up quickly (perfect for weeknights) and is mostly made up of ingredients you'll likely already have on hand. (Just make sure to pick up a bag of spinach at the grocery store so that you can give this one a try!)
Beginning to end, this recipe takes about 25 minutes. Dinner in less than a half hour? Indeed!
Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1, 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1, 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1, 6 oz can tomato paste
1 cup pasta water, reserved
4 oz cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 lb penne pasta
1, 9 oz bag fresh spinach
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining.
- While pasta cooks, add onion, garlic, and olive oil to a large skillet. Saute over medium-low heat until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, spices, tomato paste, and reserved pasta water. Stir until tomato paste is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cream cheese and Parmesan cheese. Whisk to incorporate. Continue to whisk until cheeses are melted.
- Add fresh spinach and stir into sauce until it has wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add drained pasta and stir until well coated.