Friday, August 26, 2022

Watermelon Child's Swing Top

Today I'm sharing with you a child-sized crochet swing top that I made as a present for Niece Dolly to help her celebrate her fifth birthday. The original pattern was written for a solid color with no color changes, but I decided to modify the pattern slightly to create a watermelon top.


I used the Child Swing Top free crochet pattern with a size H hook using these yarns:

  • Red Heart Super Saver Shocking Pink
  • Big Twist White (enough white yarn for one DC row)
  • Red Heart Super Saver Black
  • Red Heart Super Saver Spring Green

Pattern Help

In order to help me follow the pattern better, I printed it out and numbered the rows. (Note: I did not number the Magic Ring or 7 DC in ring as rows.)

The pattern as written includes: 

Magic Ring
Foundation Row (7 DC in ring)
16 increase rows 
Finishing row 1 (one shell row across bottom)
Finishing row 2 (across top)
Separate section for straps (not written in rows - see below in pattern modifications)

Pattern Modifications

  1. I completed all of the foundation and increase rows with pink as the main color.
  2. In order to achieve the watermelon "seeds": On rows 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13, I evenly spaced black DC stitches across the increase rows and carried the black yarn, changing colors as needed. 
  3. I added one additional row in white with 16 DC between 2 DC and another increase row in green with 17 DC between 2 DC.
  4. I completed the final shell row in green.
  5. Instead of SC across the top, I completed HDC across. This was a preference, but I thought it cleaned up the edge a little better.
  6. I used 1" diameter buttons, which fit instructions for big button holes.
  7. For the straps, I SC the first 28 rows as described then finished differently to put a little more space between the two button holes:
    1. *SC across 5 stitches, CH 1, turn* repeat for 28 rows
    2. CH 1, turn, SC in first SC, CH 3, Skip next 2 SC, SC in last 2 SC
    3. CH 1, turn, SC in first 2 SC, 2 SC in chains, SC in last SC
    4. CH 1, turn, SC across 5 stitches
    5. CH 1, turn, SC across 5 stitches
    6. CH 1, turn, SC in first SC, CH 3, Skip next 2 SC, SC in last 2 SC
    7. CH 1, turn, SC in first 2 SC, 2 SC in chains, SC in last SC
    8. CH 1, turn, SC across 5 stitches
    9. CH 1, turn, SC across 5 stitches

Final Sizing

The final top measurements with a size H hook ended up being 24" around the chest, 11" from top to bottom, and having 9" straps. I considered making the straps longer, but given the fact that yarn stretches, I didn't want to make them too much longer for fear of them getting stretched out over time.
  
Here are a few photos of the top laying flat.




A sweet little top for a sweet little girl. I hope you'll give this pattern a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Be Interested In