Did you ever have a recipe that immediately takes you back to your childhood? the good old days? For me this is that recipe. It is comfort food at it's finest. This recipe was created by our Grandma Elizabeth and Mama made it often when we were growing up. Now it's still one of my favorites, and a seriously easy peasy recipe to pull off. If you are hunkering down for this week's winter storm, here's the chicken soup that will do the trick.
Grandma's Old Fashioned Chicken Soup
3 or 4 chicken breasts
6 medium potatoes
2 medium onions
2 cans pork and beans
1 can white corn
3 cans tomato soup
1 tsp sugar (optional)
Salt and pepper. to taste
- Boil chicken breasts until tender, reserve broth.
- Shred chicken and set aside.
- Chop potatoes and onions and then boil in reserved chicken broth, cooking until tender.
- Add chicken, pork and beans, tomato soup, and white corn, and simmer on low heat until thoroughly heated through.
- Season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.