THIS soup is a winner. Make sure you give it a try on a cold and blustery day like today. It doesn't disappoint. It's tasty and it takes almost no time to put together. Plus, it's a favorite for kids. (Cheese? Yes! Broccoli? Yes!) What's not to like?
Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup
4 Tbsp butter
5 Tbsp flour
3 cups half and half
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 onion, diced
3-4 cups chopped broccoli florets
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 oz cream cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
extra shredded cheese for topping
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- When melted, stir in the flour until mixture begins to clump.
- Whisk in the half and half in very gradually until it all has been added and a thick white sauce forms.
- Add onions, broccoli, garlic, Italian seasoning, and cream cheese to your crockpot. Add the white sauce and the vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add the sharp cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese melts into the soup.
- Serve warm topped with additional shredded cheese if desired.