We've just finished celebrating Jaxon's birthday again this year. Fun fact about Jaxon: he was born on 8/8/08. The number 8 is considered to be lucky in China, and this year was his eighth birthday, so we've joked that this was his "lucky" birthday.
So, what did the lucky birthday boy request for his birthday cake this year?
He wanted a chocolate cake with mint frosting. Since this was no ordinary cake, I decorated it with Junior Mints for our Birthday Boy and it was delicious! This scratch cake was simple to make and you'll be able to make one for yourself in no time flat. Lucky you!
Chocolate Cake with Mint Frosting
(Junior Mints Cake)
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
4 drops of green food coloring
22 Junior Mints candies
- Prepare Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake as directed. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, powdered sugar, milk, and peppermint extract.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the food coloring. Beat until blended.
- Use to frost cake as desired.
- Arrange 15 Junior Mints candies around outside perimeter of cake. Place one Junior Mint in the center of the cake and arrange the remaining 6 Junior Mints around that candy to create a flower pattern.
- Refrigerate cake.
The Hershey's Perfectly Perfect Chocolate Cake is a tried and true Harris Sisters recipe. Harris Sister Deanna has it every year for her birthday cake.
It might also taste good with these other frosting recipes - give them a looksee: