Tuesday, April 22, 2014

One Man's Trash - Vintage Child's Howdy Doody Rocking Chair

I am so excited to share this edition of One Man's Trash with you!  We were out yardsaling just the other weekend when we found this delightful little Howdy Doody rocking chair.  I saw it and pulled my husband aside immediately to tell him we had to have it, no matter what the price.  

Of course, he never pays the asking price for anything, but in this case I would have paid double or even triple.  I LOVED this rocking chair from the moment I saw it, but that's why I don't do the negotiating.  I show my hand way too easily.  John, on the other hand, points out all the flaws in whatever it is he is trying to purchase and uses that to his advantage when haggling out a deal.   In this case, they marked this chair for $20, but we ended up scoring it for only $10.  I can still hardly believe it!!



This little chair is obviously vintage, and in "well-loved" condition, shall we say.  It does have a split in the wooden seat, and the decal is worn in places.  As for the split in the wood, hubbie can fix that part pretty easily.  Thank goodness he is so handy!  But the decal being worn is actually preferable to me.  I rather like it when vintage items look their age.  If they look too perfect, then it always makes me think they are reproductions rather than the real deal.    



As an added bonus, this rocker plays music as it moves back and forth and that part still functions.   You can see the little music-making apparatus on the chair's rocker below.


And it doesn't get much better than Howdy Doody.  He is a children's classic icon, albeit a little before my time, but I am familiar with this redheaded little character nonetheless.  He has always reminded me a little of my hubbie (in the best possible way) because he is also a freckled carrot top.  Aaahhhh, score another one for the home team.  I think we knocked this one out the park!

Linking to My Salvaged Treasures Vintage Inspiration Linky Party

1 comment:

  1. What a great find and an even better price. So happy to hear that it's all being put back together again and getting the love it deserves. Thanks for sharing at VIP.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Be Interested In