This recipe is a quick and easy vegetarian variation of beef stroganoff. So, mushroom lovers unite! This one's for you. :-)
Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff
3 Tbsp butter
1 large onion, diced
3/4 lb. portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
8 oz dried egg noodles
salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare egg noodles according to package directions. Boil until al dente, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- While egg noodles cook, melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for two minutes or until softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add sliced mushrooms. Cook for an additional five minutes, or until mushrooms are wilted and browned. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, stir in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook until the broth has reduced by 1/3.
- Reduce heat to low, return the mushroom mixture to the pan, and remove pan from heat.
- Stir together sour cream and flour, then blend into mushroom mixture.
- Return pan to burner and continue cooking over low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over cooked egg noodles.